Whitby, Ontario, takes its name from the seaport town with the same name in Yorkshire, England. Many of the towns on the eastern side of Toronto were named after north-eastern English towns: Whitby, Scarborough, and Darlington are just a few examples. “Whitby” originally comes from the Danish “Whitteby,” which translates as “White Village.” Speculation has it that this alludes to the white lighthouse that exists on both Whitbys’ coasts.
The town is home to a gorgeous, naturally-formed harbour, which was responsible for shipping a lot of grain in the 19th century. In the 1870s, further trade connections were established with the construction of the railway between Whitby and Port Perry. Originally, the railway extended only to Port Perry; not long after, it was connected to Lindsay. Today, many of Whitby’s residents commute to work in Toronto or to other cities in the GTA. Whitby itself houses a variety of industries, including a steel mill, pharmaceutical manufacturers, retail support centres, and warehouses.
Ensuring Your Home Safety
If you work long hours that are extended further by the time that your daily commute takes, it would grant you peace of mind to know that your home is as secure as it could be. Locksmith Master is one of the premier Whitby locksmith service providers, and we always strive to educate our customers and clients on key issues to do with your safety and security.
The following are a few things that every homeowner should check and consider, to ensure the security of their house or apartment.
- Do you have deadbolts installed? Deadbolts are a standard security element for exterior doors; most break-ins happen through doors rather than windows. Garage doors are especially vulnerable, so make sure exterior doors leading into the garage are secured by deadbolts.
- Do you have glass doors? If so, simply breaking the glass would allow access to a thumb-turn mechanism. A wiser idea would be to have a Whitby locksmith install double cylinder deadbolts, which require a key from both the inside and the outside.
- Do you inform your neighbours when you leave town, or have someone house-sit for you? Empty homes are an easy target; get a friend or neighbour to pick up the mail, and perhaps to turn on a light or two in the evening – that way it would look like someone is home.
- Did you just move in? We always advise our Whitby locksmith clients to get locks changed or rekeyed, immediately following a move-in. You never know who previously had or has access to your home, or copies of keys – it could be previous owners or tenants, contractors, agents, or workers.
- Have you been living in your house or apartment for a number of years? Locks are subject to wear and tear like everything else; old locks are easier to pick and break. If you see any rust, or if takes some jiggling to unlock your door, it might be time to call in a Whitby locksmith .
- Are you in the habit of hiding a spare set of keys outside? The proper response to this is simply: “Don’t!” Doing so is always risky, and your hiding place might be much easier to discover than you think.
A Trustworthy Whitby Locksmith
Locksmith Master has been serving the town of Whitby for over five years, and we have gained a reputation for being one of the most reliable Whitby locksmith service providers around. We provide free quotes over the phone, and one of our consultants will always be willing to speak with you about your home security concerns.
Locksmith Master is providing 24 hour emergency locksmith services in Whitby. Call us now!